Sunday, August 18, 2024

My Favourite Teachers

                                Being a teacher, I take the opportunity of dedicating the compliments I receive from different persons, young or old. The credit of such compliments goes to my favorite teachers during my studies.

I can easily recall the memory of my first teacher in class nursery, but not out of respect or what I have learnt from her. That job was performed by my late father, for teaching, by my mother by supervising me and on the third place my sister for helping me in my homework when it was left undone (sometimes) and the gaps in my work or when I was not well, acting as my substitute.

Though I can make out the mental picture of Maths and English notebooks with the letters written in pink colour pencil in these notebooks as clear as real now, but nothing has ever come in my mind as a sweet memory of learning at school except with some funny, fighting, games, cultural items and events.

I have learnt from many teachers, but in school Mrs Joginder Bajaj was my favorite teacher who taught me Maths from class 8th to 10th. Yes, she was my favorite teacher, many students didn't like her. It was not her fault, it was the fault with their minds, they were not sharp enough to understand Maths with their poor base in Maths. She had always taken care of my performance and had never let it lag behind.

I remember very well how she used to take extra care of my study by solving my problems from extra books she arranged specially for me, for extra practice.

I can recall a special incidence when she called me to her place as my problems were pending and she had to go out of station the next day. I went to her place. We both sat on a double bed (cross-legged) with books and notebooks scattered (by me) on it, she was helping me in solving sums and entertaining me with eatables. This part of learning, is surely not a part of teaching anywhere at least not near my place. I wonder if I could forget her.

Then, in college Sir Nachhatar Singh taught us Cost Accounting. He was also made fun of, as he was handicapped and always tried to hide his hand in the right pocket of his pants. His way of teaching was too good.  In college, only a few of the students pay attention in class as most of them take tuition in difficult subjects. I was not like most of them.

I had a lot of problems in that subject. Sir, understood, that I was solving the questions and would ask me, "In case there is any problem, let me know and give me a slip bearing the question no. and name of the chapter ". (It was never expected that time in my college). Next day I would receive the handwritten solutions to all my problems. Because of his such efforts I never found the Cost Accounting difficult as most of the students tell till this day.

After, about five years of my graduating from college I came to know the sad part of his life, that was over. He committed suicide by jumping in the lake just two days before his marriage was scheduled as he didn't want to ruin that girl's life (They say it was revealed in his suicide note.)

So, I think a teacher is good only if he or she is available to the students.

The knowledge is important to stay in this competitive world. A teacher's knowledge is accepted only if shared with the students.
I pray to God to help me in my pursuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment

10 Everyday Lessons from Gurbani

  As per the Sikhism, here are 10 everyday lessons from Gurbani: 1. Practice Humility :  Gurbani teaches to practice humility and believe th...